Monday, October 19, 2009

A great alternative for those with class but not a lot of cash

What comes to mind when you see someone carrying a Louis Vuitton or Chanel handbag or piece of luggage? You probably think that person has a lot of money or that they have good taste. Your next thought might be what that person does for work, is he/she a lawyer, or a doctor. Society often labels those who are privledged enough to own a pieces of designer luxury as smart, classy and sophisticated. Sometimes that may not even be the case, but because we see that designer label, that person is right away put into their own category. Well those of us who can't afford to spend $2000.00 on the latest handbag can also enjoy the boost of confidence that comes from the stares you get when onlookers notice you carrying the same bag that was in Vogue last month. Those of us who do not earn a six figure income every year should also be entitled to be viewed as someone with good taste and stylish.
I am not saying that carrying a fake handbag is the only way to be looked at as trendy or fashionable but it does help to achieve that label. Of course you can be viewed in that way if you just dress nice and carry yourself respectfully also,but if someone sees you with a name brand handbag or pair of shoes, you automatically become cool. It is sad that society is so superficial, but it is a fact.

2 comments:

  1. It is very sad. I love a designer label as much as the next girl but mostly I just wear what I love and DIY or hit the thrift stores and sales to achieve my own style. I've taught my daughters the same thing and even now...they'd rather shop at the local thrift store than at the mall. Much easier on the budget and they still have a beautiful sense of style! :)

    I wanted to thank you for stopping by and commenting on my daughter's prom pictures. (Her dress is an example of thrifty shopping with class!)

    Have a great week!
    Take care.
    Nice to "meet" you!

    Roeshel

    ReplyDelete
  2. So true about society be superficial. My rule is to never spend an amount on a purse that I don't normally carry around in cash on any average day (which isn't much).

    Thanks for your incrediably sweet comment about my union jack dresser!

    ReplyDelete