Wednesday, October 7, 2009

The world of fashion is endless. From clothing to shoes to handbags and more. Animals are even considered to be a fashion accessory these days. When people think of fashion, the names that most likely come to mind first are Chanel,Louis Vuitton, Fendi, Dolce and Gabbana and many,many more. If you are familiar with these names, then you know about the hefty price tag that their products carry. Because of the way society thinks, if you are seen wearing a piece of clothing or carrying a handbag from one of these labels, then automatically you are looked a little differently then someone who is not. And although your onlookers may not know that you are wearing a Juicy track suit, you feel that much better because you know you are wearing name brand clothing. It's also worth it to know that there is that chance that someone who is also as familiar with fashion will recognize your outfit as name brand.
But with today's economy, everyone is watching their wallets and may be a litle reluctant to buy a two hundred dollar Ed Hardy T-shirt just for the sake of saying you have one. That is where replicas come in. Yes it is illegal to buy or sell these products, this I know, but they are out there and available by the dozens. I completely understand why it is illegal but one thing that really erks me is that whoever it is that is protesting these items states that the sale of such products is taking money away from Chanel or Louis or whoever it is. Truth is that people who buy these products can't afford the real ones in the first place. A real Louis Vuitton handbag can cost as much as a decent used car or a nice two week vacation in a foreign country. Unless I strike it rich or have one of these precious items given to me, I don't think I would ever put myself into debt just to say I have one. The people that have the money to buy the real thing don't go beneath their standards and dare purchase a "fake" and take the chance of one of their fellow housewives finding out their dirty little secret.
Maybe I feel this way because I am not a millionaire designer, but to some extent, they should be flattered that their designs are liked well enough that manufacturers are willing to take the time and effort to reproduce their designs. But we all know at the heart of the issue is the money factor. I bet if one top designer was willing to make some kind of unprecedented agreement with a maker of fakes that they would recieve a portion of the money made from selling their products, others would follow suit. They would make a lot more money this way and now everyone is happy.
I love the stares and the looks you get when someone notices my just released Gucci bag and not to mention the matching wallet. And as long as these knock off items are available, I will be a knock-off queen. Again, unless I win the lottery or receive one of these highly priced items as a gift, I don't see myself purchasing the real thing any time soon. I have bought some replicas that are just as good as the real thing and will continue to do so as long as I can get my hands on them.
Anyone that is looking for anything replica from shoes to clothes to handbags to jewelry let me know and I can certainly help you out.

No comments:

Post a Comment